Company Name – Tata
Founder – Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata
A conglomerate multinational holding company from India, Tata Group or Tata has its headquarters in Bombay House of Mumbai, Maharashtra. Owned by Tata Sons, the Tata group has a number of subsidiaries for different products like automobile, airlines, hospitality, steel, telecommunication, e-commerce, finance and more.
Each of these companies under the Tata Group is supervised by respective shareholders and board of directors such as Guenter Butschek is current MD and CEO of global Tata Motors while Rajesh Gopinathan is MD and CEO of Tata Consultancy Services. Natarajan Chandrasekaran is the current Chairman of Tata Sons.
How It All Started
It was the unfaltering principles backed up by visionary leadership and passion that made the young 29 years old Jamsetji Tata venture into the trading company, rather move forward in touching ‘tomorrow’ with the capital of only INR 21,000 in 1868, when India was under the shackles of British rule.
With a genius stroke, Jamsetji founded the Nagpur Textile Mill in 1874 instead of the textile hub of India –Nagpur. Tata group has been ‘people-first’ enterprise for over 130 years since its pioneering of employee welfare initiatives in 1886, which was a bold step as such initiative was not enacted legally by then.
In 1892, Jamshetji established JN Tata Endowment Fund for backing the bright students for their higher studies and the first recipient of this endowment was a doctor, Freany Cama. The Taj Hotels which is managed under The Indian Hotels Company Limited was started with Taj Mahal Palace/Hotel beside the Arabian Sea in the then Bombay and this was one of the most coveted initiative of Jamshetji that was fulfilled on 16th December in 1903.
Sir Dorabji Tata became Chairman once Jamshetji passed away in 1904 and with nerves determined as steel, he established the legendary Tata Steel (then Tata Iron and Steel Company –TISCO) in Sakchi.
Tata group became global in 1907 with the launch of Tata Limited in London followed by the establishment of Indian Institute of Science in 1909 which started class in 1911. Tata Power, the hydro plant was launched in 1910 in Mumbai with the initiative of Sir Dorabji who fulfilled Jamshetji’s ambition to bring eco-friendly energy to western India. The industrial city of Jamshedpur was given a new life in honor of Jamshetji in 1912 and in 1917, TOMCO or Tata Oil Mills Co was found that marked the growth years of Tata Group.
With corpus of INR 8 million, Sir Ratanji Tata Trust & Allied Trusts was launched and in the following year, Indian team was financed for 1924 Olympics in Antwerp. India achieved the Tata Airlines in 1932 which was later renamed as Air India. Tata Institute of Social Sciences was founded in 1936 and in 1939, Tata Chemicals in Mithapur was established.
As the pioneer in offering cancer treatment, Tata Memorial Hospital came into being in 1941. In 1945 Tata Engineering and Locomotive Company which was later renamed as Tata Motors started expansion. Tata launched Lakme in 1952 as the first Indian cosmetics brand and in 1954, Voltas was launched as air-conditioning brand. Tata Finley which was renamed as Tata Tea and Tata Global Beverages now, was launched in 1962 as venture into beverages.
In the same year, Tata International, then Tata Exports was launched as export business in thirty-nine countries as well as manufacturing leather materials. Tata Consultancy Services as the leading software company was launched in 1968 and now it operates across 46 countries.
Tata’s marketing strategy and reasons behind its success
- In 1980, The Taj Group of hotels expanded its business to overseas and founded its international hotel in Yemen and two years later, it acquired St James Court of London in UK.
- In 1983, Tata came up with Tata Salt. Under TIDCO, the nation got its own watch brand named Titan in the following year; Raga and Fastrack sub-brands followed by. Tata Motors (then TELCO) had its first passenger vehicle Tata Sierra in 1991 and Tata Estate in the following year. In 1998 Tata Indica came to market as indigenously designed car. Jewelry market got its revolutionary brand Tanishq in 1994
- Tata Tea became 2nd largest global tea brand by acquiring British Tetley tea brand in 2000 which was 160 years old back then. In insurance sector, Tata started two ventures namely Tata AIA (2000) and Tata AIG (2001). In communication sector, Tata acquired controlling stake of VSNL to establish Tata Communications and now it is global leader of mobility, IoT and network solutions. For satellite connections, Tata launches the DTH connection named Tata Sky
- Tata Steel became largest steel producing brand by acquiring Corus and becoming Tata Steel Europe. In automotive, packaging, engineering and construction industry, this is the second largest company in Europe.
- Tata Global Beverage started joint venture with Starbucks to create the fastest store rollout in the history of Starbucks and became massively popular among caffeine-lovers.
- Tata Sons started joint venture with the Singapore Airlines to launch the Vistara airlines and in 2015, it created a record in serving one million flyers.
- TCS invested 50 million USD for inaugurating industrial and academic research organization of Tata Innovation Center along with Cornell Tech in 2017.
- Values and code of conduct has always been the main reasons behind its success. Being fair, ethical and transparent in its conduct, responsible towards environment and social values, creating excellent quality standards, pioneering towards new challenges and building collaborative relationships with different brands are the key strategies of Tata Group.
Tata Group’s sponsorship campaigns have always been directed to promoting arts, culture, sports, education and wellness. Every year on 3rd Sunday of January, in association with Tata Consultancy Services, the largest Asian marathon –Mumbai Marathon takes place. TCS also operates the New York City Marathon every year.
The Wimbledon of Chess –Tata Steel Chess Tournament attracts chess grandmasters from around the world. The Invictus Games presented by Jaguar Land Rover has been an inspiring campaign for wounded, ill and injured servicepersons. For campus students and corporate workers, Tata Crucible has been the business quiz campaign of India.
As an ATP World Tour of 250 series, the Tata Open Maharashtra encourages tennis champs from round the world while the Tata Open India International Challenge invites badminton players from round the world. Every November, Tata Literature Drive from Tata Group brings together elites from politics, economics, science, religion, nationalism and more.
Abiding by the comprehensive Code of Conduct, the Tata Group has always been open to innovations while also being environment and society friendly. Since 1868, what started as small trading firm, is now a global leadership company that has its branch in every sector from food to beverages, communications to automobile, lifestyle products to energy, steel to insurance and the list goes on.
Tata Sons has its 66% of share owned by various trusts to nurture health, education, culture and livelihood. Leaving back the controversies, it is Tata’s integrity, unity, responsibility and excellence is what makes it a people’s brand.
- None Found