Darr ke aagey jeet hai’
Company name: Mountain Dew
Owned by: PepsiCo
Founders: Barney and Ally Hartman
Mountain dew is a carbonated soft drink company owned by the beverage giant PepsiCo. It is emerging to be one of the most famous caffeinated fluorescent yellow sodas. It has created waves by its popularity and the excellent combination of the drink.
HOW IT ALL STARTED
It has a very interesting history of revolving its texture. The original formula of the drink was by Tennessee beverage bottlers Barney and Ally Hartman in 1940. The actual soda was supposed to be a whiskey accompaniment.
In the year 1932, a lemon-lime soda began to be bottled as a whiskey chaser in Knoxville, Tennessee by Brothers Barney and Ally Hartman. There have been some changes in the formulas and combination of the taste of the drink.
The copyright to the formula was initially obtained by Tip Corporation of Marion, Virginia. In August 1964 the Mountain Dew brand and production was acquired by PepsiCo. The phrase “mountain dew” came from slang of mountain-brewed moonshine.
Marketing strategy and the reasons behind its success :
Mountain dew is all the ads have projected itself as a depiction of the younger generation. The carbonated drink with no alcohol content expresses its association with adventure, risk-taking, and creativity. Their marketing strategy is as follows:
- They are very aggressive in marketing and they are into the customized strategy based on different geographies. Mountain Dew has made its international presence in the market of beverages and it hasn’t stopped to be creative and crowd-pulling through its strategies. They have a very strong widespread network because of the owner PepsiCo. One can see the presence of Mountain Dew from small corner shops to posh supermarkets.
- The price policy is competitive pricing. With the emergence of different beverage companies, the price rate of the product is extremely competitive. The prices depend on the market price of different beverages and hence giving a choice to the customers for choosing the product with an affordable price.
- The world loves sports. All throughout the year, we do witness sports extravaganza. As the brand- Mountain Dew always projects the ever energetic and never tiring attitude. It is associated with several mega sports events. This has created a huge pool of customers who enjoy watching the advertisements by the brand. Its association with sports events creates a lot of rush to the stores to try the new thing out.
- Mountain Dew provides a wide variety of flavors for customers. Like :
- Original Mountain Dew
- Throwback Mountain Dew
- Kickstart Watermelon Mountain Dew
- Kickstart Blueberry Pomegranate Mountain Dew
- Baja Blast Mountain Dew
- Kickstart Blood Orange Mountain Dew
- Sangrita Blast Mountain Dew
- Voltage Mountain Dew
- Kickstart Pineapple, Orange-Mango Mountain Dew
- Electric Apple Mountain Dew
- Diet Mountain Dew
- Kickstart Midnight Grape Mountain Dew
- Caffeine-Free Diet Mountain Dew
- Kickstart Strawberry Kiwi Mountain Dew
- Diet Code Red Mountain Dew
- Kickstart Limeade Mountain Dew
- Caffeine-Free Mountain Dew
Any customer will have a hard time choosing the variety. The ethnic taste the brand provides makes the customers throng a lot more to drink Mountain Dew.
- Brand ambassadors of Mountain Dew: Mountain Dew is associated with several celebrities from various fields. The ad campaign with these celebrities creates more customer circles. The music for the ads has always been peppy or rap indicating the inclination towards the younger generation. The ad campaigns will also have some breathtaking visual attracting the customers. The ad also contains extraordinarily inspiring real-life stories. This way the real heroes are also brought on screen. The extraordinary stories of ordinary people were liked by the customers.
The tag line: Mountain Dew is known for its very trendy tagline. The taglines are catchy and attractive. Some of its famous taglines are:
- Get That Barefoot Feeling Drinking Mountain Dew
- Hello Sunshine
- Put a little ya-hoo in your life
- Each of these taglines trying to connect the audience.
- In India, the tagline is Darr ke Aage Jeeth Hai.
These lines have made history in the ad campaigns.
Digital Marketing: Mountain Dew is very updated and upgraded with technology and has a strong social media and digital presence. The world is stunned by its digital marketing and social media marketing strategy. It holds various contests wherein the users can win every day. The products of Mountain Dew are also sold online in many of the e-commerce companies and thereby creating a presence in the online sales also.
360-degree Marketing campaign: The style of marketing across TV, digital, social, and conducting world tours with the chosen celebrities (brand ambassadors for the campaigns).
By 1974 Mountain Dew launched an ad campaign with the tagline “Hello Sunshine, Hello Mountain Dew”. This was the Midas touch for the company. The youth could easily connect to this brand. This ad campaign was an instant success. By 1979 this brand becomes the fastest growing soft drink band. There were such catchy campaigns in the ‘Hippie’ era also.
Later in 2015, Mountain Dew launched ‘Do the Dew’, the first-ever global marketing campaign. This campaign did get a great momentum.
There were ad campaigns like Cheetah, Mock Opera, Dew or Die, Labour of Love which was broadcasted during mega sports events in all the major entertainment channels.
Salman Khan, Hrithik Roshan are some of the actors who were the protagonists in the recent ad campaigns.
Mountain Dew in 2018 unveiled its “Give Your Head an MTN DEW KICKSTART” campaign, featuring actor, comedian, and overall hardest-working-man-in-show-biz, Kevin Hart.
Mountain Dew is the numero uno flavoured carbonated drink in the US. The journey of becoming the most used brand was not simple. It has its only ‘one-of-its-type’ taste that is sweeping the market across the world. Every sip is exhilarating and quenching.
PepsiCo products are enjoyed by the people all over. They believe in continuously evolving the brand and the brand strategy. Customers all over the world wait enthusiastically for their new products. It has been striving to operate successfully and believes in providing the trusted brand to a huge range of customers.