“The complete man”
Company Name– Raymond
Founder– Vijaypat Singhania
Raymond is a leading Indian lifestyle, Textile and Branded Apparel Company. Vijaypat Singhania is the founder of this company. It is also connected with engineering industries like auto components, power tools, etc. It is one of the key sectors of India’s manufacturing segment as it contributes to the economy in terms of foreign exchange and employment generation, too.
How it all started.
The ‘Raymond’ company is a part of the global conglomerate Raymond Group. It was incorporated in 1925 near Thane as the Raymond woollen mill. Lala Kailashpat Singhania took the control over the mill in 1944. With consistent hard work and determination, in 1958, Mr. Vijaypat Singhania turned this minor fabric company into a giant and world famous brand.
Being the first company to introduce polyblend in India in 1959, the Raymond Retail showroom, King’s Corner, which was an exclusive set up was opened at the Ballard Estate in Mumbai. Raymond also started a readymade garments plant at Thane, in 1968. There has been no looking back since then. In 1979, with manufacturing facility across Maharashtra, they met the ever increasing demand for woollen fabrics. In 2000, Gautam Singhania took over the Raymond empire.
It creates the world’s finest suiting fabric and also produces wool blended and premium polyester viscose worsted suiting. It is also the largest manufacturer of steel file in the world accounting to about 30% of the market share. The plants of Raymond Textiles have been certified with ISO 9001 for quality management system and ISO 14001 for environment control systems.
The company launched the 600 Raymond Shop Outlets in 2011 and its apparel section “Raymond Premium Apparel” crossed the Rs. 1 bn mark in 2013. The company also marked the launch of Maker brand at a Pan-India level. The company has textile plants in Chhindwara, Thane and Vapi.
Raymond’s marketing strategy and Interesting reasons behind its success
- Raymond is a multinational organisation that owns several apparel brands including Raymond, Color Plus, Parx, Park Avenue, Park Avenue Women and Raymond Premium Apparel.
- It has manufacturing capacity of 31 million meters of wool fabric and wool blended and also manufactures the elusive super 220s and 210s grades of pure wool.
- It has diversified portfolio of products like Denim wear, designer wear, Furnishings, Corporate wear, Personal Care products includes park avenue, Total textile solutions, Toiletries and cosmetics, readymade garments, Woollen Outer wear and many more.
- They have a retail industry that includes Brand Store and The Raymond Shop.
- They are included in Prophylactics that includes surgical gloves and condoms.
- It is one of the first corporate houses to launch Air-Charter Services in India in 1996.
- It has three engineering divisions- JK Talabot, JK Files and Tools and Ring Plus Aqua. The export performance has been recognised year on year by the Engineering Files Panel of India and by the Engineering Export Promotion Council of India.
- Raymond is the top producer and the preferred supplier of high quality jeans wear brand and is also the world’s leading brand of denim wear.
- It has extensive presence in B2B space through its garmenting business.
- It is also included in FMCG business through associated companies like J. K. Ansell Private Limited (JKAL) and J. K. Helene Curtis Limited. These companies help Raymond to cater male grooming segment.
- It faces competitions from several companies like Bombay Silk Mills Ltd, Arvind Mills Ltd, Sree Villiappa Textiles Ltd, Birla Corporation Ltd, Ayyappan Textiles Ltd, Grasim Industries Ltd, Century Textiles And Industries Ltd.
- It has been synonymous with Quality, Excellence and Trust. It has emerged as preferred choice of top design houses across 55 countries.
- It has launched a campaign titled “The Complete Man” which express the qualities of a “complete man” who believes in staying real and do not allow his digital life to overpower his real life.
- ‘Nicola Benedetti’ is the first female brand ambassador of Raymond Group. She has extraordinary talent as a musician and also does wonderful philanthropic work that she undertakes on a daily basis.
- Raymond has many campaigns, which owns awards like The Business Most respected Company Award 2011 in Apparel and Textile Category, Images Fashion Awards 2009 for most Admired Textile Brand of the year, Lycra images fashion awards 2008 for most Admired Suiting Brand.
- In 2011, it has ranked 20th in “The Brand Trust Report”.
- It is also honoured with “All India Export Award” for being Star Performer in 2006 in hand tools Category from Engineering Export Promotion Council of India.
- Another award is “Outstanding Exporter Award” for engineering category of 2006-07.
- KV Sridhar, Chief Creative Officer, has praise the new campaign. She stated that Raymond has gone through lot of difficulties. They really do brilliant work in early 90s and then slowly fell down. Now they focus on how to revive a brand and connect to youth without losing focus.
- The campaign works to ensure that the message should come across effortlessly as it is a part of DNA of a complete man.
- It has adopted numerous marketing policies to increase and maintain its brand awareness in the consumer market.
- The several ad campaigns are shown with the help of every possible advertising medium like digital, electronic and print. It has advertised via many social sites as well as it has its own website which acts like an agent by updating important news and events at regular intervals.
- It is an aspirational brand, which denotes achievement and hence has adopted a premium pricing policy for its products.
- It also has overseas markets in Portugal and Spain. It is a major supplier of completed garments and fabrics in fifty countries involves Japan, Europe, North America and Middle East.
- The campaigns of Raymond have a widespread and strong distribution network that helps in easy availability of products to its customers. All its brands are available in retail outlet, in India. Brand has seven hundred retail outlets and 30,000 stores in over 400 towns across India that avails the product to the customer.
Raymond targets upper and upper middle class section of urban society people. It is a premium business and offers fashionable clothing to those who desire to make distinctive mark of their own with style and fashion sense. It has been constantly delivering excellent quality products to their customer since the past nine decades. “Raymond Complete Man” speaks for those who wants to stay real and can complete their personality. It is a textile powerhouse with state of art and manufacturing infrastructure, and has best industry practices that raised the bar of Indian textile manufacturing. It has capabilities to manufacture fabric from fibre.